The Jawaharlal Nehru University Teachers’ Association continuing with its resistance to the autocratic administration headed by the VC placed the complete final report of the Public Inquiry on the Charge-sheet against the VC in its General Body Meeting held at 3rd November. Based on the conclusion of a rigorous 5-day Public Inquiry, which was attended by large numbers of teachers as well as others, the Report was placed before the GBM. The GBM unanimously accepted the report and gave a mandate for follow up action to press for removal of the Vice Chancellor. The efforts of the team in preparing the evidence for the Public Inquiry against the VC were appreciated by the GBM.
The GBM passed following resolutions.
1. The Final Report of the Public Inquiry on the Charge-sheet against the VC should be published as soon as possible. Copies should be sent to the Visitor, Chancellor, the MHRD minister and members of the Parliament. Copies should be sent to the Executive Council members of the University on a priority basis.
2. The Final Report of the Public Inquiry be brought to the knowledge of the public by organising a press conference providing media persons copies of the Final Report.
3. Demand the university to provide information on actual number of seats filled under different categories for each programme in 2017-18 to assess violation of the 2016 UGC Notification on the implementation of Reservation policy and the Central Educational Institution Act for MPhil/PhD programmes of the University.
The VC continues to profess hostility by willfully ignoring JNUTA’s requests to discuss multiple memoranda presented to the VC in the recent past. However, far from being disappointed, JNUTA continues its efforts to establish a dialogue with the VC. Once again, with presentation of the Final Report, JNUTA will demand the VC to immediately start a dialogue with JNUTA. Along with this, JNUTA resorts to the following course of action.
Course of Action
In continuation with our efforts to resist the arbitrary VC through the Public Hearing, JNUTA is empowered by the GBM to take the following course of action-
1. A March from Ganga Dhaba to Sabarmati lawn in the evening of 15th November in support of the Final Report indicting the JNU VC. A Press Conference be held at the end of the March to give a copy of the Final Report to the media.
2. A University Strike and a Public Demonstration on November 16.
3. An Oust JNU VC March to the Parliament by JNU Community, JNU Alumni and Concerned citizens to be organised soon after the winter session of the parliament starts.
The JNUTA appeals to all teachers to participate in these programmes in large numbers and to give them wide publicity. It is our responsibility to protect the well-being of the University and to thwart the machinations of the VC.